How to Get Banned from Canada

With our close proximity to the border, it’s common for Washington residents to travel to Canada. Or at least many Washington residents try to enter Canada. Some citizens are stopped at the border and denied entry. There are several ways to get banned from Canada, and we will look at a few.

Overall Entrance Requirements

Canadian officials may deny someone entry, refuse to grant a visa, or remove someone for any reason, including:

  • Security reasons
  • Human or international rights violations
  • “Committing a crime, including driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Participation in organized criminal activity
  • Medical reasons
  • Being unable or unwilling to support yourself and your family
  • Providing false information or withholding pertinent information
  • Failing to comply with the provisions of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
  • One or more of your family members have been denied admission

Even if you meet one or more of the criteria to get banned from Canada, officials may issue you a temporary resident permit under certain circumstances. Generally, you must have a valid, justifiable reason to visit the country that outweighs the reason you were banned.

Crimes That May Cause Problems at the Border

A long list of crimes – some major, some minor — may get you banned from Canada:

  • Theft
  • Assault
  • Manslaughter
  • Dangerous driving
  • Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol and
  • Possession of or trafficking in drugs or controlled substances
  • Additional crimes listed in the Criminal Code of Canada.

Canadian officials classify driving while impaired to be serious criminality. This type of charge can get you banned from Canada even if you have not been convicted or plead guilty.

Also, remember that when deciding to allow entry, Canada interprets U.S. criminal offenses using Canadian laws. Laws in the United States can be very different. For example, you may be charged with a crime that’s considered a misdemeanor in the United States but is a more serious charge in Canada. The opposite also may be true, however. A minor crime in Canada might be considered major in the United States.

If you have committed a crime and want to travel to Canada, call an attorney who is familiar with the process.

Are You Worried About Getting Banned from Canada Because of a Criminal Charge?

Some people may regain admissibility through something called criminal rehabilitation. However, the time to address potential travel issues might be while you and your attorney are dealing with the criminal charges themselves.

Call (425) 747-0582 for a free consultation with lawyer Sarah Cho at Peak Justice. She gladly uses her experience and training to assist clients like you. From her office located in Bellevue, Washington, Ms. Cho represents clients throughout the Seattle area.

Defense You Can Trust When Your Future Is At Stake

Previous Post
4 Things You Should Never Do When the Police Pull You Over
Next Post
Assault DV